The 2018-19 boys and girls basketball RPI was made public on Friday, December 14. The rankings will be continuously updated throughout the season before they are used to seed the teams that qualify for the Regional round of the Hardwood Classic by way of their district tournaments. The deadline to input scores into MaxPreps is Sunday, February 17 at 2 a.m. At that time, the RPI will be frozen and rankings will become final.
The 2018-19 RPI is different from years past, based on recommendations from the RPI committee which were approved by the WIAA Executive Board at the June 2, 2018 meeting. The following is a summary of changes for the 2018-19 RPI formula and final seeding process.
- The formula for calculating the RPI will be changed to (40% WP) + (40% OWP) + (20% OOWP).
- Adjust #9-#16 teams in basketball to prevent teams from the same league playing each other in the first round. Adjustments will be considered only for the #9 through #16 ranked teams, since those games are loser-out games. The losers of the #1 through #8 are not out, and wind up on opposite sides of the bracket at the final site
1. Two teams from the same league playing in the first round is considered a conflict.
2. Conflicts involving teams #1-#8 will not be adjusted.
3. Conflicts involving teams #9-#16 will be adjusted when possible.
4. Since #13 - #16 teams travel to the #9 - #12 sites, #13 - #16 will be reviewed first.
5. Up to two moves can be made downward (e.g. #13 shifting to #14 or #15)
6. Since #16 cannot move down, up to two moves can be made upward (e.g. #16 to #15 or #14).
7. If the conflict is not resolved after reviewing #13 - #16, #9 -#12 will be reviewed next.
8. Up to two moves can be made downward (e.g. #9 shifting to #10 or #11)
9. Since #12 cannot move down, up to two moves can be made upward (e.g. #12 to #11 or #10).