| || |
To receive a press pass, media outlets must be approved through the WIAA office and complete the Media Registration prior to an event. After registration, the media member must report to the press/will call gate and present the official document that was sent to his/her e-mail. If pre-registration is not completed, the individual must purchase a general admission ticket from the ticket booth. If a member of the media is issued a press pass and loses it, he or she must purchase a general admission ticket and present it to the media gate for a replacement pass. WIAA will not provide press passes to freelance writers and photographers who are not affiliated or sponsored by a news agency. Letters from the editor on official letterhead will no longer be accepted as substitutes.
Media Registration Timeline
Press Pass Criteria
Internet Only Sites
Media members MUST REGISTER for media credentials for the WIAA State Championship events PRIOR to EVERY WIAA State Championship event (with the exception of Golf and Tennis).
View and print media packets:
| || |
| || |
The registration period will close one day prior to the start of the event. All media members need to be registered prior to this deadline. If your media company has not been approved CLICK HERE.
*Note: Some media outlets will not appear if they have already used their allotment of passes*
All media must register for Regional Basketball. Media will have access to all Regional Basketbll sites once registered.
Press Pass Criteria
Credential requests are considered only for authorized and salaried media representatives. Credentials will be issued to the accredited media in accordance with the following general priorities:
1. The Associated Press and daily newspapers with circulations of 40,000 or more may request three (3) writer’s credentials and two (2) photographer credentials for all WIAA State Championship events.
2. Other daily newspapers with circulation less than 40,000 may request two (2) writer’s credentials and two (2) photographer credentials for all WIAA State Championship events.
3. Weekly and bi-weekly newspapers may request one (1) writer’s credential and one (1) photographer credential for all WIAA State Championship events, provided they have a team/participant from their normal coverage area.
4. Monthly and specialty publications may request one (1) writer’s credential for all WIAA State Championship events, provided they have a team/participant from their normal coverage area.
5. Student publications must be authorized by the Athletic Director/School Administration and included in the team registration list for each tournament (if applicable).
6. Approved websites (non-broadcasting) may receive up to two (2) credentials if the website is approved by the WIAA office.
Internet Content Providers
1. The Washington Interscholastic Activities Association (WIAA) has exclusive broadcast rights for all WIAA sponsored events. Internet Content Providers (ICP) will not be permitted to provide any sort of live cybercast/broadcast of a WIAA event.
2. ICP’s intending to post contest scores, statistics and/or feature story copy of any WIAA/Dairy Farmers of Washington/Les Schwab Tires State event must obtain WIAA media credentials.
3. Media credentials will be issued only upon compliance of the following:
a. The ICP applies for a media credential.
b. The ICP must prove that it is providing original content (recaps, stories, stats), and such content must be updated on a regular and frequent basis. Editorials or commentaries are not considered content for the purposes of meeting these criteria.
c. A site must have sustained evidence of more than half of its content being devoted to game coverage and special features about high school sports. Sites which have 50 percent or more content devoted to recruiting/scouting will not be granted credentials.
d. ICP must be generating a minimum of 1000 unique visitors per week to qualify for credentials. The level of credentials issued will be in accordance with the number of weekly/daily visitors to the site.
e. Any content generated during the coverage of the event for which the credential is issued must be free to all visitors to the site.
f. Such a site must not be a “fan,” “booster” or recruiting site.
g. Site must have two full-time paid employees.
h. Individuals who provide content -- text, data, images or video – for the Internet as bloggers, must meet the above criteria.
4. The following internet sites will not receive credentials:
a.) Personal page internet site publishers;
b.) Subscription-based internet sites;
c.) Internet sites associated in any way with alcohol, tobacco, drugs of any kind, gambling of any kind, political parties or candidates or any other advertising considered in poor taste or not in compliance with the mission of interscholastic athletics as determined by the WIAA;
d.) Sites developed solely to list/profile/rank recruiting prospects or teams and/or to provide chat rooms/forums/blogs. The WIAA reserves the right to determine if a website falls into the category of a recruiting site.
Notes: The WIAA will use criteria to determine if State Tournament credentials will be granted to internet content providers. Reasons for a denied credential application will vary. Note that websites deemed to be personal blogs would not be granted State Tournament credentials.
Media Registration Timeline
|Event ||Registration Opens ||Registration Closes |
|Cross Country||Oct. 9||Nov. 8|
|Girls Swimming||Oct. 15||Nov. 14|
|Volleyball||Oct. 15||Nov. 14|
|Girls Soccer (1B, 2B Boys)||Oct. 22||Nov. 21|
|Football Semifinals||Oct. 29||Nov. 28|
|Gridiron Classic||Nov. 6||Dec. 5|
|Cheer/Salute to Spirit ||Dec. 26||Jan. 25|
|Bowling||Jan. 8||Feb. 7|
|Gymnastics||Jan. 21||Feb. 20|
|Mat Classic XXV||Jan. 21||Feb. 20|
|Boys Swimming||Jan. 21||Feb. 20|
|Basketball Regionals ||Jan. 28||Feb. 27|
|Hardwood Classic||Feb. 6||Mar. 5|
|Dance/Drill||Feb. 28||Mar. 27|
|2A, 3A, 4A Track and Field||April 29||May 28|
|1B, 2B, 1A Track and Field||April 30||May 29|
|Baseball||April 30||May 29|
|Boys Soccer||April 30||May 29|
|Softball||April 30||May 29|