On October 13, 2014, the WIAA Executive Board approved a waiver for individual sports participants and for team sports to compete in national events representing their school during the out-of-season time period. The waiver includes regional events that qualify individuals to the national events and allows coaches to work directly with the athletes through the national event.
The following conditions must be met in order for schools to apply for this waiver:
- The school involved must have approval from all levels of authority in their school system which includes the coach, principal, superintendent and school board.
- Once approved by the school, the waiver request must be sent to the WIAA Executive Director. Final approval must come from the WIAA Executive Board.
- Only the qualified (individual sports) and/or varsity (team sports) student-athletes may practice and compete under the coach’s guidance.
- All eligibility rules will be in effect for the participants through the conclusion of the national event.
- Athletes are required to maintain the academic and attendance standards as set by the WIAA and the local school board.
- If the school’s request is approved, a maximum of ten (10) practices will be allowed to prepare for the national event with the exception of football which will be allowed twelve (12) practices prior to the event.
- Any costs associated with participating in the competition will be the responsibility of the participating school.
- Financial assistance and/or additional revenue from the tournament organizing body to the school are allowed.
- The WIAA amateur standing rules apply to all athletes.
The school’s principal must send the request for the waiver for all fall events by November 1, 2015, to WIAA Executive Director Mike Colbrese.
Questions: WIAA Executive Director Mike Colbrese (425) 687-8585